Fig, Beef and Olive Empanaditas
Makes 30 empanaditas
- 1/2 pound lean (15% fat) ground beef
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pressed
- 1 cup chopped stemmed Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pimento-stuffed olives
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoon dried crumbled oregano
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 refrigerated pie crusts for 9-inch pie [1 1/2 packages (14.1-ounce each)]
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add beef, bell pepper, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often and crumbling meat into small pieces, until meat is browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and stir in figs, olives, tomato paste, cumin, oregano, hot sauce and salt. Blend well. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Let dough rest at room temperature 15 minutes. Working with one pie crust at a time, unfold dough on lightly floured surface. With 3 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 8 dough circles from each crust. (Save dough scraps, re-roll to cut out 2 additional dough circles from each crust.) Brush rim of each circle with beaten egg. Place 1 tablespoon filling in center of a circle and fold to make a half-moon shape. Press edge to seal; flute edge if desired. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush tops with egg mixture.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.