Braised Chicken with Fennel and Dried Figs
Makes 4 servings
- 1 fennel bulb, about 12 ounces
- 8 ounces (about 12-14 figs) Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid Calimyrna figs, stems removed
- 1 whole chicken, about 3-1/2 pounds, cut into 8 serving pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium or 1 large leek, roots and green tops trimmed, soaked in warm water, rinsed thoroughly, cut into 1- inch lengths
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1- inch lengths
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, bruised with a mortar and pestle or a large knife
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Trim the stem end and the dark green tops from the fennel; reserve a few fronds for garnish. Cut fennel bulb lengthwise into quarters; cut across into 1 inch pieces. Chill in a bowl of iced water 20 minutes; drain.
- Place the figs in a small bowl and cover with boiling water; let stand 10 minutes; drain and cut in half.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large deep skillet until sizzling. Add the chicken, a few pieces at a time and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken to a side dish as it browns. Leave a thin film of oil in the bottom of the pan: discard remaining oil.
- Add the fennel, leeks, and carrots to the pan. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the figs and fennel seeds to the pan. Cook, stirring, until the cut sides of the fig are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and the wine. Heat to a boil; boil, uncovered, over high heat until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and the juices to the pan. Cover and cook over medium low heat until the chicken juices run clear when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon transfer the chicken and vegetables to a warmed serving platter; cover to keep warm. Boil the juices over high heat until reduced and slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour the juices over the chicken; garnish with fennel fronds and serve.
amount per serving
- Calories 686
- % Calories from Fat 37%
- Fat 28
- Cholesterol 157
- Protein 52
- Carbohydrates 53
- Fiber 11
- Iron 6
- Sodium 294
- Calcium 194
- Potassium 1200